Friday, July 4, 2014

Pagnes

Pagnes are a standard measurement of cloth (although I forget what the actual dimensions are). It’s also the word for the cloth skirts lots of people wear. There’s a special way to tie them, but I haven’t had a chance to ask someone to teach me.

Yesterday we went to the pagne shop that one of Amadou’s sisters runs. We’d been once before so I could look around, but this time I was on a mission: I wanted to pick out a material so I could have a dress made. Or more accurately, a top plus a skirt. My reasons are two-fold: 1)Because I love all the fabrics, and they look awesome, and I want one; and 2)It could potentially be practical if I were ever to get invited to an event, because I don’t think I own any nice clothes that would be appropriate here (and I didn’t bother bringing any nice clothes this time around). 

It was raining. Hard.



Here's the inside of the shop, sort of:



Here are what I think are supply fabrics that haven’t been cut down to size yet:

 

Here are some of the ones on display:



I forgot to take a picture of the fabric I picked out, but you’ll see it as the finished project soon enough! She gave me three pagnes-worth instead of one (I told her it was for a dress). 

Then we took it to a tailor, and I leafed through lots of pattern sample magazines and printed photos until I finally gave up and drew a picture of what I wanted (everything in the magazines was complicated, and what I want is simple). The tailor took my measurements and told us it would be ready in a week! I’m pretty excited, although I think it’s going to be a bit of a surprise. I’m never quite sure if anyone understands exactly what I mean in these situations (not in English or French), but I’m confident that I was specific enough so that it will be generally in line with what I expect. 

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment