Tuesday, July 8, 2014

O Canada!

My mom will be proud: Today, a man we had seen a few times in a restaurant we go to frequently stopped at our table and asked if I’m Québécoise. I was surprised, but I told him I was American (but from Central NY, so he gets almost-partial credit). He laughed and said he knew I couldn’t possibly be French, because I smile too much. It was kind of hilarious. It turns out he is here for six weeks volunteering by giving hostelry courses. Pretty interesting to see who you meet … I guess that’s why I’m the annoying person on planes who sometimes likes to meet the “neighbors!” 
I also tried Malta, which is apparently made by Guinness. I think I might have been drinking straight up yeast? It seems like the kind of thing Brits/and company would be into (take your vegamite, you lunatics!!). That said, it was good – better cold than after it had started to get luke warm. It’s dark and sweet, and I swear it tasted familiar. The only thing I could come up with was the taste of pure Chex (the cereal) in extract form, but I have to ponder it a bit more because it really reminded me of something I can’t place.


No comments:

Post a Comment