I was in charge of concocting lunch (damn the French and their multiple courses!), and Gabrielle brought dessert, shown below. SHE MADE MINI APPLE PIES AND CARROT CAKE!!! Fall = partial redemption. Delicious, for the record.
That was pretty much the whole day, with the exception of my first foray into the land of hunting for a second job. It all seemed OK for this café, until the owner asked me when I wanted to work. When I started to explain how my availability varied from day to day, he flipped his lid. I would like to take this moment to point out that he ASKED when I wanted to work, thus implying a CHOICE. I think I was probably smiling in a bemused sort of way right around the part of the lecture that was something to the effect that "You couldn't do this in New York! What would happen if you just couldn't come when I called you and said I want you to be here now? We just wouldn't open?"
Right, so, he then explicitly stated that I should be available at any time so if he wanted me to come in, I could. What planet is this dude from? Everyone wants a native anglophone to work for them, and to have working papers already -- but you can't get working papers without having a job sponsor you. Vicious cycle. Lots of dumb people. SOS.
This is the job that I found on the board at the American Church. Let's review: American Church implies whom? Oh right, Americans. What won't Americans have, unless they've already received sponsorship from some sort of job? Working papers. What does that mean for availability? They will have other obligations -- like, the ones that went to the trouble to get them work visas.
Lucky for him, my sarcasm is limited in French.
That left me a bit cranky, so I stopped at the grocery store and bought the 750g jar of nutella. Whoops. My mood, however, improved drastically.
No comments:
Post a Comment