Monday, October 19, 2009

A B C, it's easy as 1, 2, 3. Or wan, twou, tree?

TODAY WAS MY FIRST DAY TEACHING!

I think it went well ... by some act of providence I guessed the correct amount of material to fill a 45 minute period. Score. I had six different classes, five of which I taught single-handedly, and one in which I was actually, you know, an assistant.

To be honest, I think I prefer doing my own thing. Being at someone else's mercy is SO not my style.

Today I started by explaining the Miss-Mrs-Mr Last name deal, since kids here call their teachers by their first names, or just "maitresse!" They thought it was cool, but since Ariotti is more difficult than Molly, I think I can see the writing on the wall. Not like I care, Miss Ariotti makes me feel ooooooold.

They went around, introduced themselves, and told me about what they already know how to say in English. Then I taught lots of the younger classes how to say the alphabet and sing the song. The older classes benefited from my elementary school days. Fay El used to bring in the Beauty and the Beast Storytellers every year (wonderful couple, obvious very talented storytellers if I still remember all this time later). One year we each got to pick a story, and they coached us and taught us how to tell it well. I chose a semi-scary/funny one, which served me in good stead. It's one of those ones that requires the audience to make sounds and stuff, so of course the kids were totally into it. Thanks, fourth grade, you just proved yourself useful :)

I taught all of the kids about Halloween in general, and in lots of classes had them draw me their imaginary costume (then we learned how to say it in English: Lots of witches, vampires, zombies, pumpkins).

Anyway, I should head to bed ... round two ... as in, my next six different classes is in the morning, and I've been wiped out since lunchtime.

Oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment