Whenever
you need something in Burkina, you pretty much need to go to a boutique.
Boutiques are the general store – they sell just about everything. I’ve
mentioned them a few times before (I’ve bought little cakes there, toilet
paper, bottles of Lafi water, Dafani juices, soap, etc.). Generally you can
spot them pretty easily, either because they have a sign that says boutique, or
they have an ad for Nescafé on the front (you can also kind of tell just by
what it looks like they’re selling).
Here’s the
outside of one not too far from my villa:
I tried to
get a good shot of the inside, but it was hard. There’s the counter in the foreground,
with a wire fence thing in front that has lots of candies and cakes and stuff
hanging from it. Behind it, in the darkness, there are lots of cubby-hole like
shelves, stocked with pretty much anything you would generally need.
Boutiques
seem to be the closest Burkina equivalent to our big box stores (although
comparing it to a Walmart or a Target seems almost insulting … to the boutique,
of course).
I did find
it entertaining though, because today I bought soap (I told Amadou I would use
it to wash my hands, clothes, whatever, and this is what he said I needed). I
was faintly amused, because it suddenly occurred to me that all the hippies and
hipsters in the US want to buy artisanal everything. Right? Well, this soap
looks an awful lot like a lot of the “artisanal soaps” I’ve seen in farmers
markets and the like, sold for a crapload more than this one. I guess it doesn’t
get much more artisanal than Africa.
I should
also quickly mention that the black plastic bag you see around the soap is
ubiquitous in Burkina – anytime you buy ANYTHING, they put it in a black
plastic bag. Amadou said that they’re trying to put in place a ban on the
infamous sachet noirs, because they’re such terrible pollution (it’s true, you
see them on the ground everywhere). It will be interesting to see if the change
does take place. Given the trash removal situation (spoiler alert, Amadou
informs me that there is a private company that does it and the service is …
unpredictable, at best), the plastic bags are an environmental disaster.
It also occurred to me, family and Lake George
family, that living in Africa is kind of like the ultimate Lake George test. Can
this person roll with the flow? Can they keep their cool in the face of various
surprises? I’m doing my best :)
No comments:
Post a Comment