Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Just what, exactly, are they saying?

So I've had a lot of people comment on the strikes in France and make sure I'm here/OK/Not leading the people of France to the streets to demand better quality internet or anything.

I'm not involved in these strikes, so don't worry. HOWEVER they are often taking place at République, which is where I'll be moving in November. Let's hope they work out this mess quickly or things could be more annoying.

Actually thus far the strikes haven't caused me any REALLY unnecessary inconvenience ... The trains are in various stages of strike (both Parisian public transit, suburban trains and the national train company) so everything is crowded ALL the time. There are apparently oil refineries closed, which means people have started stockpiling gasoline, or stopped taking their cars. So as long as I don't plan on going anywhere while they're busy having an uprising I ought to be alright.

This article sums it up pretty well.

Otherwise things are going well! Seeing friends, relaxing a bit; Even going to see this concert at the Salle Pleyel tonight. Not gonna lie, the main reason I wanted to go to this concert was for the second movement of Beethoven's Seventh. One of my favorites. I have a subscription to this year's concert series (which is AWESOME because they have great deals for those under 26). I had to miss two of the ones I originally booked because of changing my flight, but I still have another five after tonight I think!

Not to mention the other good concerts they wouldn't let you reserve places for ... I'll have to chance it on the lines for those ones!

1 comment:

  1. republique is a pretty cool square. i stayed in a hotel there the first time i visited paris. i walked into this athletic store on the north side of it to look around and then left. as i was leaving the security guard stopped me because i was wearing some new looking running shoes and i guess he thought i was a thief. then i sat on a bench in the square and ate my lunch.

    /coolstoryhansel

    ReplyDelete