Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Yard Sales of State College

Moving to an unfurnished apartment, and the ensuing hunt for furniture, reminded me just why it was that I had always chosen to live in furnished apartments.

On the other hand, it has given me the change to rediscover a bit of creativity, which has been sorely missed. By that I mean I have gone exploring in my new corner of State College, and along the way I have discovered fun things I didn't know about.

One such cool thing is called CentrePeace, which teaches inmates life skills and they repair the furniture which is then sold. It is filled with all kinds of neat stuff, and I am now a HUGE fan. 

There was a random yard sale along the street I live on, so I stopped to check it out. 



While I was originally concerned about the reasons for which one might possess such an item, a friend pointed out that many soldiers in WWII would bring Nazi artifacts home as souvenirs. Phew. I'll take that explanation.


These are Edison music rolls. Apparently Edison spent time in central PA, which is a bit of trivia that is new to me.


From a lady at CentrePeace I found out about a big church community yard sale, which had such excellent record selections as the following:



I didn't buy those two though, I opted for an AWESOME album of The Supremes, and discovered lots of new favorite songs. Also a Dvorak and a few Gershwin albums. I also found an old, black trunk, a cookbook, and lots of pretty frames. 

Totally a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment