Monday, July 30, 2012

Conference in Reims

I headed to Reims for a few days for a conference (Comparative Agendas Project) at the Sciences-Po campus.

Of course, I had to do a little tourism ... Who wants to look at pictures of committee sessions?

Famous Cathedral.


Maryland Bar? Is there some pop cultural reference to Maryland that I'm missing?!


There was even a lights show on the Cathedral the last night. It was especially cool because they showed all the stages of the construction, from the drafting to the [slave?] builders at work, and of course lots of different paintings of it were projected on top.

I think this is from the drafting ...


This just looks cool.


One of the detailed stained glass effects. Since churches were originally painted, this might even be intended as a representation of what it looked like at the time (I don't know enough about this to actually be sure).


On my way out of town, I stopped in a café with a Canadian I met at the conference. Does Ernest Hemingway have a link to Reims, or is this purely marketing?


If my train had been leaving a bit later, I could have gone on the tour of one of the Champagne companies' "caves." The real reason this upsets me is because the parting gift was a BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE. Ah well, it gives me a reason to go back?

No comments:

Post a Comment