Sunday, November 14, 2010

Language fail.

This morning I tutored in Neuilly Plaisance as per usual, and in my adoptive café (because I seem to either get there 20 minutes early or 20 minutes late, I don't understand these magical trains) I noticed a new variant for my old list of incorrect spellings of 'sandwich.'


If you can't read it too well, it's spelled 'sandwiche' in the menu (which is logical, since they got the plural sandwiches right; unfortunately English is not logical).

After that I went to "brunch" with two teacher friends from last year. This is where linguistic fail number two was discovered. I commented on the fact that it was 1pm, which is on the late side for a brunch, when Marlène and Aurélie informed me that for France, 1pm was fairly early for a brunch.

Buhhhhhhh, what?

So they asked when we usually have brunch, and I explained that the whole reason for the name is that it comes between 'breakfast' and 'lunch,' hence 'brunch.' Yeah not in France. Good to know, I would have showed up long before any of the all-you-can-eat brunch places were even open. How strange.

Now I'm considering practicing violin before settling in for some reading. I'm a bit worn out from my late night babysitting and early morning, so I'm not sure that I'm up for a movie or anything. We shall see.


1 comment:

  1. So let me get this straight, they use the English word "brunch" (le/la brunch?) to refer to some sort of (midafternoon?) Sunday meal that has nothing to do with le petit-déjeuner et le déjeuner? Are there still omelettes and mimosas and such? Or is the menu different too?

    ReplyDelete