Sunday morning we woke up pretty late, because we'd been out pretty late. So I met up with my friend Mathieu, who lives near Liverpool Street. We wandered the markets of Brick Lane, which is really cool (like the flea markets in Paris, but it seemed like it was even MORE fun). Lots of Bangledeshi and Indian restaurants, and we grabbed lunch at the indoor market on Brick Lane. Mmmm, chicken marsala.
Then we wandered over to the Spitalfields market, and to the Columbia flower market. I really, really like markets.
This sign made me laugh.
This part of London is a strange blend of old and new, modern business construction and dated residential buildings. I really liked it, the character makes it all the more interesting. That rounded building at the vanishing point of this picture is called "the gerkin." Yes, like the pickle.
Jane and I got dinner at a pub practically next door to her hotel, and then went back to Tesco to find dessert. I got Cadbury milk chocolate bars (man, Cadbury is SO good) and she got bourbon cookies. I think all food should have types of alcohol written on it. Naturally I'm not sure what the bourbon in the title was about, unless they were suggesting that these cookies go well with it - they were chocolate cookies with chocolate filling.
Then Jane and I took advantage of our planned 'study time,' since I had lesson planning to do and she needed to read/grade. It turned into girl talk, as one might have expected. Then we finally went to sleep, and I woke us both up at 3h55 to get my life together before my 5h25 train back to Paris Monday morning. From there, straight back to a full day of school.
Phew. French was a little slow to come back, and NATURALLY I caught a cold. Otherwise, I held up better than expected! Great visit, and well worth it -- I loved London, and I was so happy to see Jane!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment