Sunday, December 20, 2009

Le Concert

Today, Sarah and I went to see a movie that's out here called "Le Concert," about a former conductor in Russia. The whole thing centers around Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D, which, as you may know, is one of my all-time favorite pieces.

At any rate I don't want to ruin it, but it was really good, and of course I was happy to hear the concerto over and over again. So after Sarah and I hung out for a bit, I came home and did some practicing. At the very least it provided some new inspiration. I borrowed the music for this concerto from my friend Arthur a month or so ago, and promptly gave up because it's IMPOSSIBLY difficult.

Newfound determination to get through it (I didn't say to play it WELL, just to get through it. Parts of it?). Oh, and I should learn how to play the Waves in the Vaughan Williams. No shortage of tricky music to get through!

Also, I'm like 99 percent sure that a woman from my orchestra was one of the cellists in the movie's orchestra. Awesome!

In other random news, I'm taking note of the various idioms and expressions in French that reference a baguette. The conductor's baton is the "baguette du chef," and a magic wand is a "baguette magique."

No comments:

Post a Comment