Friday, September 23, 2011

Breaking up is hard to do

The time has come. I am walking away from Facebook.

"HERESY!" You shout. "Blasphemy!" You cry, as you gently avert your children's eyes.

"Why?" You might ask, after the initial horror has passed.

Because I have no self-restraint. Because I haven't liked a single change they've made to the site since they opened it up to everyone and their mom (literally). Because I have seen the future, and I want no part of it (if you haven't, check THIS out). Because the golden age of technology has taught me the importance of privacy, and I have developed an affinity for it(she says, with a trace of irony, as she posts her manifesto onto her blog)."Because," I respond, "I want my life back."

The changes Facebook has in the works would demand weeks of careful nitpicking over my entire history on their site, just to adjust it to suit my sense of privacy (never mind the potential for hackers). There are some things, Facebook, that I am perfectly happy to have forgotten. For the rest, I have Twitter, LinkedIn, and an indelible record of Pipe Dream columns. Quite frankly, I don't think the world cares this much about what I do, and if it does, well, that's rather creepy.

In the meantime, I'll be falling back on Gmail, Gchat, Skype, Twitter, LinkedIn, my professional site, BBM, my blog ... And lest we forget ... My cellphone. You can probably find a way to contact me, if you're trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment