So I went to the Farmer's Market (just down the street from me, how convenient) for the third time today ...
The prices are always infinitely better, and a lot of them don't spray with chemicals, which can't hurt any!
For about $11, I got ...
Two ears of corn, "seconds" of peaches and white nectarines, cherry/sun tomatoes, a yellow squash, a zucchini, an eggplant, the two biggest cucumbers you've ever laid eyes upon ... And two things called "whoopies." Apparently they're like cake with cream filling (a guy said they're amazing and a local thing, so I figured I'd give it a try). One is chocolate and one is pumpkin, and they also make a chocolate one with peanut butter cream filling. That's for if they're as good as they look.
The cucumbers are seriously mammoth. I asked, and apparently they thrive with heat and lots of moisture ... Which descripes the weather this year quite aptly. After a few days that made me thing autumn was coming, today is hot and humid again. I wonder if I can freeze them? That or I need to get creative with my recipes to use them up.
I recently experimented with ratatouille, and it was quite good (if I do say so myself). I also tried out a sauté of eggplants with onions, over which you bake (or in my case, place a fried) egg. Delicious. Googling recipes has broadened my horizons.
The market is on Tuesdays and Fridays, but a lot of the best places only come on Friday. There are lots of desserts and breads and jams and honey to be tested ... Apparently this runs through to November, which makes me a very happy camper. I like the idea of buying produce from real people and not a grocery store (plus that way I can ask questions). There are lots of Amish farmers that sell here, and they are all very helpful when you're curious. Makes it more fun.

My family's way of consuming lots of cukes is to slice them and put them in vinegar and sugar. It's very tasty and lasts a while in the fridge (I think the vinegar preserves them).
ReplyDeleteCan't find my mum's ratio at the moment so I make no guarantees with this recipe:
2 large cucumbers (let's assume grocery large; double or triple as needed)
2 tsp salt
6 TBSP sugar (splenda works ok too)
2/3 cup white vinegar
Also fun is dipping cucumber slices in plain yogurt mixed with cumin and/or minced garlic if you've got it.
I would never have thought of the vinegar! I'll let you know how it goes. I was thinking of some sort of cucumber yogurt sauce ... Next I'll need to master falafel :)
ReplyDelete