Last week, while making dinner for the kids, I took out the bag of "smilies." Imagine my shock when I actually read the label:
MCCAIN? KID SMILE? I don't remember seeing McCain make any kids smile!
It gets better:

SERIOUS?! Died laughing. Impossible to explain to others. I'm such a poli sci nerd.
Then one day (must be like weeks ago, oops), when I actually bothered to do laundry (now I'm playing closet Jenga until I some item of clothing becomes the limiting factor), I popped into the bookstore next door to kill time. I'm not ready to see things about China yet ... Especially not about their food (the title means 'Taste of China').
Because I have the greatest friends ever, I thought I'd share one of the best gifts I have EVER received: Melissa's chef d'oeuvre (masterpiece), if you will. Complete with its own presentation easel. AWESOME. Made my day, nay, still IS making my day. Everyday.



I think the artists was trying to communicate the disparity between who we are as individuals and our widely separated places on Earth ascribed to us by a society which rigidly enforces gender roles through gonad-specific clothing, mass-produced and commodities to such an extent that we no longer place emotional value in either it or ourselves. The small scale represents the oppression of women through the world, humans in the universe and the artist and subject in their own small corners of it.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I think that's maybe a sanddollar up top. It might represent the commoditization of both art and nature, or it might just be a sanddollar.
How are you, Molly? Have you been having a fun week?